How to make Qatayef (Atayef) with cream
It is a type of famous and traditional Arabic sweets, and it is one of famous Ramadan sweets. Qatayef in general is a pie made of liquid dough, which can be eaten stuffed with nuts, cream, or cheese, and it can also be eaten by itself. Qatayef is close in its shape to Pancake, but it has a fluffier texture. In this article, we will discuss how to prepare Qatayef or (atayef) as it is called in colloquial Arabic.
Preparation of Qatayef dough
- Two cups of flour.
- Two small spoons of sugar.
- One tablespoon of corn flour
- Two cups of water – it should be warm/ you can use warm milk instead.
- Half a cup of semolina.
- One large spoon of yeast.
- Put all the previous ingredients in the electric mixer, mix them well, then put them in a bowl and leave them to ferment for no less than a quarter of an hour.
- Pour a cup of the prepared dough into a non-stick frying pan, and leave it to brown.
- Take out the dough from the pan when you notice that its color has turned golden, and you see bubbles in each circle.
- Put it on a cloth and let it cool down.
Preparing Qatayef with cream and nuts
- Half a kilogram of medium-sized Qatayef, or small-sized Qatayef (can be prepared at home as described above).
- Half a liter of whipping cream.
- Half a cup of pistachios, or any kind of nuts – as desired.
To prepare the syrup
- Two cups of sugar.
- a glass of water
- A tablespoon of lemon.
- Half a teaspoon of cinnamon – to taste.
- To prepare the syrup, mix all its ingredients except for the lemon, and put it on the fire until it boils, then add the lemon to it, stir the syrup a little, then remove it from the fire and set it aside.
- roll the Qatayef in the form of empty fingers, that is, in the form of a funnel, and press it from the closed lower end until it sticks well.
- Beat the cream with an electric beater until it becomes thick, then add the sugar and stir well.
- Stuff the katayef fingers with the prepared cream, and then decorate them with nuts.
- You can stuff them with custard cream as shown in the video below.
- Serve with the syrup.