Maqluba Recipe (Maklouba)
What is Maqluba (Maklouba)?
Maqluba (Maklouba) means upside down. It is a famous and widespread food in the Levant and Turkey, and it mainly consists of rice with fried vegetables, mainly eggplant, and cauliflower, and potato. Maqluba (Maklouba)can be cooked with lamb or chicken, but it is often cooked with Chicken. Maqluba (Maklouba) is usually served with yogurt or Mediterranean salad consisting of tomatoes, cucumbers, parsley, lettuce, lemon juice and olive oil. In this article, the history of maqluba (Maklouba) and the method of preparing the Palestinian maqluba will be presented.
History of Maqluba (Maklouba) and the Reason for the Label.
The upside down meal has been known in Jordan, Palestine and Lebanon since ancient times, and it was called in ancient times the eggplant dish, because of the use of eggplant in it as a basic ingredient, and when the conquest of the city of Jerusalem came by the Muslim conqueror Salah al-Din al-Ayyubi, so that he and his soldiers entered the holy city, people celebrated this great victory and served food For Salah al-Din and his soldiers, they offered him the eggplant, and he liked it very much. When he asked about its name, he described it as the upside-down stew, so that the stew is flipped in the serving dishes, hence the name “inverted”.
How to Prepare Palestinian Maqluba (Maklouba)
- One medium-sized chicken, cut into four pieces.
- Three cups of rice.
- Three pieces of potatoes.
- Two big eggplant.
- One onion cut into squares.
- One bay leaf.
- Two tablespoons of salt.
- Cinnamon stick.
- A teaspoon of mixed spices.
- 1 teaspoon of fine cinnamon.
- 1 teaspoon of ground cardamom.
- 1 teaspoon of curry.
- 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Water for cooking chicken.
- Chop the onion and put it in a saucepan on the stove, put a spoonful of oil on it, then stir it well and add the chicken, then fry it well.
- Add the cinnamon stick, bay leaf and cinnamon powder, then put boiling water until the chicken is covered, and leave it on the stove until it is cooked.
- After soaking the rice for half an hour, drain it well from the water, and put the remaining spices and two tablespoons of salt on it.
- Cut the potatoes, eggplant and cauliflower into circles or squares and fry them,
- Remove the chicken from the broth after its well done, then fry it.
- Bring a wide pot, then put a little dazzling rice on the bottom, then put the fried chicken pieces, then potatoes and then the cauliflower, and put the rest of the rice on top of the ingredients, then pour a quantity of chicken broth after filtering from the spices until all the rice is covered.
- Put the pot on high heat, and when it boils and the rice begins to absorb the broth, reduce the heat to the lowest degree, and leave it until it is cooked.
- flip the pot in a large tray, then leave it for ten minutes while it is upside down, then remove the pot and serve it hot.
- You can garnish it with roasted nuts like almonds, cashews and pine.