How to Make Salep (Sahlab) Recipe
What is Salep (Sahlab)?
Salep (Sahlab) is a hot beverage made with milk and cinnamon, thickened with salep powder derived from orchid tubers (Orchis). This hot drink is very popular in Turkey and the Middle East. It has a distinct flavour, which is why it is so popular. It also has a velvety and smooth texture. Salep or Shalab recipe is quite simple to put together, using only a few ingredients. Here is a recipe for Salep or Shalab that’s enough for 4 people.
- 1 Liter milk- 4 cups
- 4-5 tablespoons sugar (more or less)
- 2 teaspoons Sahlab powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Mastic (Optional)
- 1 tablespoon Orange blossom water
- Cinnamon powder
- In a small bowel, mix half a cup of milk with the sahlab powder and leave aside.
- In a saucepan, put the rest of the milk with sugar over medium heat.
- Until it boils, grind mastic with half a teaspoon of sugar then add to milk and mix.
- Add the sahlab mixture to the saucepan and keep mixing very well on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Pour Sahlab mixture into cups and garnish with cinnamon and walnuts or pistachio (or all).
- Serve it hot.